I will admit it. I’ve a little bit little bit of an dependancy to grooming. I’ve tried just about each product, shortcut, tip on the market and this is an inventory of my prime secrets and techniques.
1. Cactus material: Oh how I like you. As an proprietor of a grey horse that likes to get soiled, the cactus material is a lifesaver. Grass, sweat and manure stains raise SO a lot simpler than attacking them solely with a curry and brush. The woven fibers are additionally nice for rubbing a horse’s coat and bringing out shine – and the most effective half is that his useful little material prices lower than $10.
2. The superbly pulled mane: I’ve tried so many various methods to attain the right mane, however more often than not it simply by no means regarded fairly proper. Lastly, I got here throughout this method from Jason McQueen, who has been knowledgeable groom for among the bests riders on this planet like Eric Lamaze. This is one other tip: Attempt to pull your horse’s mane after you experience so your horse’s pores shall be open, making the hairs simpler to take away. You may as well rub a little bit Listerine into the bottom of the mane to desensitize areas to be pulled. I like to drag only a few hairs, a little bit bit every day, if I would like to drag a mane. Lastly, if you happen to or your horse objects to mane pulling, strive a Solo Rake, Sensible Mane Thinner, or thinning shears. Take a look at this video utilizing the Sensible Mane Thinner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiOiCpycHGA
3. Wholesome HairCare Hair Moisturizer: This has been my favourite grooming product since I used to be an adolescent! It is cheap, tremendous conditioning, and makes use of pure substances versus drying silicone primarily based sprays like Present Sheen (which I save for horse exhibits). Spray onto manes, coats, tails then rub in with a mushy brush or towel. Use on a moist or dry horse, soiled or clear. Your horse will shine and really feel like velvet!
4. Curry: Perhaps you are rolling your eyes as a result of this looks like a fairly primary tip, however nothing works higher than a little bit elbow grease. I promise if you happen to curry your horse each day, not solely will he recognize the mini therapeutic massage however he’ll gleam. Currying distributes a horse’s pure oils which not solely makes for a shiny horse, nevertheless it additionally protects the horse’s coat. For the horse’s face and legs I exploit a curry mitt, and for in all places else I am unable to reside with out my Jr. Grooma – it is simply the appropriate dimension and is far more efficient than the normal black curry combs. Test it out right here.
5. Deal with your horse’s weight loss plan and well being: Stabilized rice bran or fish oil (or one other prime quality oil) can be utilized to spice up shine. Some folks swear by feeding flaxseed however there have been some considerations that it may possibly have an effect on a horse’s hormones.
6. Bathing: Do not bathe your horse too usually! And if you do I choose a pure shampoo like Fortunate Braid’s Shampoo, Horse Journal product of the yr, which will not strip the oils from a horse’s coat. Remember to fully rinse your horse’s coat – leftover shampoo can uninteresting a coat. You may take it a step additional and rinse your horse with a bucket of water with a cup of apple cider vinegar which won’t solely take away any shampoo residue however will even improve your horse’s shine (and repel flies!).
7. Coconut oil: I just about use coconut oil for every little thing…I at all times have a giant jar on the barn. I apply it to my horse’s hooves with a small sponge as an alternative of a conventional hoof oil, and I apply it to the bottom of manes and tails to encourage hair development and moisturize. It is also nice for minor cuts and irritations because it has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties.
8. Only for grays: Be ready to place in a variety of further grooming time! If you happen to let stains sit for too many days they will be more durable to take away so I keep up to the mark with a stain remover and a microfiber material (which I discover works higher than a traditional towel). My favourite stain spray is Cowboy Magic Greenspot Remover. I additionally preserve my horses legs clipped always as much as the knees/hocks which makes maintaining him clear a lot simpler! For pre-show bathing I exploit Orvus and/or Quic Silver shampoo which lifts virtually any stain!
9. Contact up spray: Love utilizing a little bit of Shapley’s Contact Up Spray simply earlier than I am going within the ring at exhibits. Nice for overlaying any inexperienced spots on grays, or scars. Nonetheless, some folks don’t love feeling like they’re spray portray their horse, so instead you need to use some child powder or cornstarch on any white areas to actually brighten them up.
There you could have it, these are a number of of my favourite secrets and techniques. Now you already know why my grooming tote weighs over thirty kilos! I’d love to listen to your grooming ideas within the feedback part beneath!
*All my evaluations, opinions, and every little thing expressed listed below are my very own and primarily based on my expertise with a product. I’m not affiliated with any of the manufacturers in any means.