Cats and lizards don’t need to be enemies and pet lizards have even been recognized to kind sturdy bonds with their feline siblings. Actually, isn’t unusual to see photos of cats and Bearded Dragons cuddling!
Whereas these species will be buddies, forging a friendship will rely totally in your pet’s personalities and the way you go about introducing them. Some cats merely don’t like lizards and that may’t actually be modified, however the way you introduce them can have a big effect on their relationship.
When you plan introducing your pets there are a couple of widespread errors that folks make that may set your pets up for failure. Nevertheless, if you understand how to keep away from them, you might be one step nearer to constructing a interspecies friendship.
If seeing your cat cuddled as much as your new lizard looks as if one thing you need, maintain studying!
- Introducing your pets with no barrier– In case you are hoping to introduce your cat to your pet lizard for the primary time, it is best to at all times make that introduction by way of a barrier. This barrier will make the preliminary encounter lots safer for each pets. Maintaining your lizard in a glass enclosure or behind a display screen door will assist forestall a damaging encounter. In case you are introducing your pets and one thing goes incorrect, for instance your cat might lunge at a brand new lizard when it strikes, then the barrier will forestall the cat from making direct contact and presumably hurting lizard.
- Not understanding your pet’s habits– The perfect factor you are able to do earlier than introducing your cat to their new reptilian sibling is perceive their habits. Figuring out what your animals appear like when they’re careworn, offended, calm or aggravated might help you establish how profitable the encounter goes. When you introduce your cat to your new Bearded Dragon and your cat is hissing, growling, and displaying stiff physique posture, it’s probably very uncomfortable with the brand new animal. Then again, in case your Bearded Dragon’s beard is popping black, they’re head bobbing or hissing they’re probably careworn and uncomfortable as nicely. In case you are introducing your cat to a Leopard Gecko, you may even see them gape their mouths and wave their tail if distressed. Studying these cues might help you cease a damaging encounter earlier than it turns harmful.
- Leaving them alone together- One of many greatest errors you may make is leaving your cat and lizard alone collectively. Even when it appears they’ve fashioned a detailed bond and luxuriate in one another’s firm, leaving them unsupervised can flip harmful rapidly. Whereas it’s unlikely your cat will probably be harmed, your lizard will be severely injured and even killed by an offended cat. All interactions between your cat and lizard ought to be supervised. With supervision you possibly can rapidly step in and cease a foul state of affairs from getting worse.
- Forcing a relationship– In case your cat doesn’t like your new Bearded Dragon or vice versa, there isn’t a lot you are able to do to alter that. If in case you have correctly launched your pets they usually simply don’t appear to love one another, don’t pressure their relationship. Attempting to forge a friendship between your lizard and cat when each individuals are unwilling is a recipe for catastrophe. Forcing interactions will probably solely stress out each pets and trigger tensions to rise inside your family. In these instances, will probably be greatest to maintain your pets separated. This may increasingly imply they have to be in separate rooms fully. All the time take heed to what your pets are attempting to inform you, and if they’re saying “I don’t like this” it is best to respect them and hear.
- Not giving your pets their very own area– Most animals are territorial and be extra aggressive in the event that they assume different animals are infringing on their territory. Due to this, it’s possible you’ll discover some stress for those who introduce animals in their very own area. For instance, bringing your new Leopard Gecko into your cat’s favourite cat tree might make your cat act aggressively. Then again, in case your cat finds its manner into your new Bearded Dragons enclosure, you may even see your lizard head bobbing and threatening the intruder. Keep away from introducing animals in rooms the place they eat and sleep as they usually view these areas as their territory. So, in case you are eager about organising your new lizard’s enclosure in rooms the place your cat eats or sleeps, attempt discovering extra impartial areas. Impartial areas will be areas like places of work or visitor bedrooms the place each pets don’t eat, sleep or frequent usually. These impartial areas are perfect to introduce your pets for the primary time the place each events will really feel snug.
Introducing your cat to your new lizard will be daunting, however for those who introduce them correctly your odds of success improve exponentially.
The primary time you introduce your cat to your lizard it is best to present a barrier in between them for security. You must also know what careworn habits appears to be like like so you possibly can inform if this interplay is making them sad. When introducing your pets it is best to keep away from introducing them in areas the place they sleep or eat since that may improve the possibilities your animals develop into territorial. Even when your pets kind a detailed bond, by no means depart them alone collectively as that may be harmful for each events if issues go incorrect.
Lastly, don’t pressure your pets to be buddies in the event that they don’t need to. Some pet’s personalities simply don’t mesh nicely and that’s okay.
Keep away from these errors and your cat could possibly be cuddling together with your Bearded Dragon very quickly!
This visitor submit was kindly contributed by a lifelong reptile lover who has stored pet lizards since childhood. He requested to stay nameless.